- 18 Oct 2022
- 7 Minutes to read
Notifications and Following
- Updated on 18 Oct 2022
- 7 Minutes to read
ThreatConnect® allows you to receive push notifications and email updates on changes to Indicators, Groups, Tags, Tracks, Victims, and other items that you want to track. Notifications are viewed in the Notifications Center and may be configured to your preferences, including by item type, priority level, and desired notification type (push vs. immediate email vs. daily-digest email). You can choose to receive notifications on an item by selecting the Follow Item checkbox on its Details screen. You can also choose to follow your Organization, allowing you to receive updates and alerts on work done to your data. Notifications can also be set up using the Add ThreatConnect Notification Playbook App.
Click Notifications on the top navigation bar. The Notifications Center will be displayed (Figure 1).
- Summary: This column displays a summary of the notification.
- Priority: This column displays the notification’s priority (LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH). Click the Priority column heading to sort the notifications by priority.
- Date: This column displays the date and time when the notification was generated. Click the Date column heading to sort notifications by the date and time when they were generated.
Based on the type of notifications you’ve elected to receive and the number of unread notifications, the Notifications icon may appear as follows:
- : An orange circle containing a number at the top right of the icon indicates the number of unread push notifications.
- : An orange circle at the top right of the icon indicates that there are no unread push notifications, but there are other unread notifications.
- : If there is no orange circle at the top right of the icon, then there are no unread messages in the Notifications Center (although messages that have previously been read may still exist in the Notifications Center).
If there are unread push notifications when you hover the cursor over the Notifications icon, a summary of the unread push notifications will be displayed (Figure 2). See the “Notifications Settings” section for more information on push notifications.
- Mark All as Read: Click this text to mark the notifications as read.
- See All: Click this text (or the Notifications icon) to view all the notifications in the Notifications Center (Figure 1).
Marking Notifications as Read
A vertical orange line to the left of an entry in the table indicates an unread notification. To mark a notification as read, click the vertical ellipsis in the rightmost column for the entry and select Mark Read. The orange line for that entry will disappear. To mark all notifications as read, click Mark All as Read at the upper-right corner of the Notifications Center.
To delete a notification, click the vertical ellipsis in the rightmost column for the entry and select Delete. The Delete Notification? window will be displayed. Click the CONFIRM button to delete the notification.
The table in the Notifications Center can be filtered to show only notifications of a certain type or priority level, or only notifications that have been read or unread. To filter notifications, click the FILTERS selector at the top left of the Notifications Center (Figure 3).
To filter by Type (i.e., the object or other kind of information being monitored for changes), select one of the following options from the Type dropdown:
- All: Show notifications for all item types.
- Contribute: Show only notifications for Groups being contributed to a Community or Source.
- Group: Show only notifications for changes made to Groups.
- Indicator: Show only notifications for changes made to Indicators.
- Post: Show only notifications for new posts.
- Tag: Show only notifications for changes made to Tags.
- Track: Show only notifications for changes made to Tracks.
- Victim: Show only notifications for changes made to Victims.
- Case: Show only notifications for changes made to Workflow Cases, , including Case assignments, Task assignments, and overdue notices for Tasks assigned to you.NoteWhen an Organization Administrator assigns multiple Cases to you via a bulk action, you will receive a single notification in the Notifications Center that provides the number of Cases assigned to you and a link to view all open Cases assigned to you (e.g., “You have been assigned 3 cases. My Open Cases”). In addition, a single email that contains this information will be sent to the email address associated with your ThreatConnect user account.
To filter by Priority, select one of the following options from the Priority dropdown: All, High, Medium, or Low.
To filter by Read/Unread, select one of the following options from the Read/Unread dropdown: All, Unread Only, or Read Only.
Click Settings at the upper-right corner of the Notifications Center. The Notifications Settings screen will be displayed (Figure 4).
- Type: Select the type of notification to configure. Use the first option, Default, to configure the default settings for all types of notifications. Select any of the other options, which are the same options in the Type menu under the Filter dropdown menu in the Notifications Center (see the “Filtering Notifications” section), to configure the settings for notifications for that type of item.
- Select the desired checkboxes in the table to indicate the type(s) of notifications that should be sent for each priority level for the selected item type:
- Push Immediate: Send a push notification to the Notifications Center.
- Email Immediate: Send an email immediately when a change occurs.
- Email Summary: Include information about the change in a daily-digest summary email. The time of the daily digest is configured on the My Profile screen, as detailed in the “Setting the Email Summary Daily-Digest Delivery Time”section.NoteTo follow a particular type without receiving any of the delivery actions, clear all checkboxes. Notifications for that type will be displayed in the Notifications Center, but no push or email notifications will be sent.NoteTo modify the notification settings for notifications generated when an Organization Administrator assigns you to multiple Cases via a bulk action, select Case as the type and then select the desired checkboxes in the Medium column.
- Click the SAVE button to save any changes.
You can choose to receive notifications on changes made to an item by using the Follow Item area on its Details screen.
- Navigate to an object’s Details screen (Figure 5). For instructions on accessing an object’s Details screen, see the “Viewing the Details Screen” section of The Details Screen.
- Select the Follow Item checkbox at the top right, below the Indicator Status area. A Notification Priority dropdown menu will be displayed to the left of the checkbox (Figure 6).
- Select a priority of Low, Medium, or High. The actions taken for each priority level for the type of item are configured in the Notifications Settings screen. See the “Notifications Settings” section for more information.
Setting the Email Summary Daily-Digest Delivery Time
- Hover the cursor over Settings on the top navigation bar and select My Profile. The My Profile screen will be displayed with the Overview tab selected (Figure 7).
- Time Zone: Select your time zone.
- Summary E-mail Time: Select the desired email summary daily-digest time.
- Receive Post Reply Notification Emails: Select this checkbox to receive notifications when other users reply to your posts.
- Follow Organization Posts: Select this checkbox to follow posts in your Organization. After this checkbox is selected, a dropdown menu will be displayed (Figure 8) to set the level of notifications.NoteNotifications for replies to posts are not configurable by notification priority level, and they are not displayed in the Notifications Center. New notifications for replies to posts are indicated by an orange circle next to the Posts option on the top navigation bar.
- Click the SAVE button.
- Click the Follow Settings tab to manage the list of Communities, Sources, Groups, Indicators, Tags, and Tracks that you are following (Figure 9).
Configuring Follow Settings for Community Posts and Contributions
Organization Administrators can configure Follow settings for Community posts and contributions.
- On the top navigation bar, hover the cursor over Settings and select Org Settings. The Organization Settings screen will be displayed with the Membership tab selected.
- Click the Communities/Sources tab. The Communities/Sources screen will be displayed (Figure 10).
- Select a Community to display its Community profile page (Figure 11).
- In the Notification Options section towards the bottom left, use the following options to configure notifications for Community posts and contributions:
- Follow Posts: Select this checkbox to follow posts in the Community.
- Follow Contributions: Select this checkbox to follow contributions to the Community.
- Notification Priority: When one of the preceding checkboxes is selected, a Notification Priority dropdown menu will be displayed (Figure 12). Select the level of notifications for the respective option.
ThreatConnect® is a registered trademark of ThreatConnect, Inc.